A Complete Guide to Buying the Best Glass Top for Your Patio Table
If you are a fan of nature and greenery, the best thing that you could ask for is a garden in your house.
You would love to spend your mornings looking after your plants or mowing your lawn.
But what good of a garden is it if you cannot sit there, enjoy the tea, on a breezy evening?
You cannot just sit on the grass and have your tea though.
For that precious moment, you will need to furnish your garden with some furniture rather than plants.
Wondering what could be a better option to furnish your garden?
A Glass Patio Table!
- What is Glass Patio Table Top?
- Glass Patio Table Top Shapes
- What Type of Glass is Used for Patio Glass Table Top?
- What is the Best Thickness for a Patio Glass Table Top?
- Considerations for Edge Finishes
- Consideration for Corner Finish
- How to Measure Patio Table Top for Glass Replacement?
- How do I Stop Scratching my Patio Glass Table Top?
- How Do You Clean Patio Glass Top Tables?
- What are the Best Places for Patio Glass Table Top?
What is Glass Patio Table Top?
A table with a glass patio top not only provides a central point to gather around but also brings a classic touch to your garden.
Even after you narrow down your choice of furniture to a patio table, there is a need for further shortlisting.
This is for you to decide what type of patio table you want for your garden.
Most often, the best aesthetics come from a patio table that has a glass top.
A glass patio tabletop is the specific glass top for your patio. You could have these designed in various ways such as
- A glass patio tabletop that sits on top of a central pedestal. This might or not have a glass border.
- A glass patio tabletop that sits within the frame of the table. This type of tabletop might not have one central pedestal but legs to it.
- A glass patio tabletop is a cover rather than the top itself. It aims to add a glossy and smooth finish that also protects the surface below from temperatures.
Each of these glass patio tabletops has its own aesthetics and can elevate the look of your garden in their own unique way.
Glass Patio Table Top Shapes
When deciding to buy a patio tabletop, an important consideration is its aesthetics. It will depend on a massive deal on the shape of the glass patio tabletop.
While most people prefer the shape of their choice, every style has a unique charisma. And exciting functions.
So, let’s find out what different types of glass patio table tops are available in the market.
- Rectangle Glass Tabletops
The rectangle top is of the most common and preferred shapes for dining tables. It is not as common for patio tables because rectangular shapes only go well with a rectangular garden. Moreover, rectangular glass patio table tops give a sense of neatness to your garden. However, they may look out of place with the least bit of untidiness, such as untrimmed grass.
- Square Glass Tabletops
Much like rectangular glasses, square glasses are great to give your patio a neat outlook. However, a square glass top does not only go with rectangular or square gardens but also adds flair to round ones.
- Round Glass Tabletops
A round glass patio table top is the most common for gardens. This is because the flexibility and intimacy that a round table provides go perfectly with the gathering around a patio table.
- Oval Glass Tabletops
Oval glass tops are more common for purposes of breakfasts or lunch in the patio. It allows the discipline of a rectangular table, but the flexibility of around one.
- Race Track Oval Tabletops
A race track oval table is just like a rectangular table, but with rounded edges. It helps the table fit-in well in any shape of a garden. Oval glass tables are usually used for more significant areas.
But that is not all. If you have any other design in your mind, you can order a custom cut glass patio fabglassandmirror table tops here.
What Type of Glass is Used for Patio Glass Table Top?
With the shape of the glass, you might also want to customize the type of glass that goes on your patio glass tabletop.
Here are some of the most standard glass types that you could use for your patio tabletop.
- Clear Tempered Glass. Tempered glass tabletops are relatively common in any kind of table across homes or hotels. However, the trend with clear glass is slowly fading because of the basic look that it provides.
- Frosted Glass. Frosted glass is often confused as being opaque, but it isn’t really. The frosted glass disperses light very well. Frosted glasses are used most often in windows but are also popular for glass patio tabletops. They go best with a white fence around the garden and plenty of white flowers.
- Tint Gray Glass. Tint Gray glass, as the name suggests, has a grey tint to it. You can get this in different levels of darkness. This type of glass goes best in areas with naturally low sunlight.
- Spraylite Glass. Spraylite grass is perhaps the best-suited glass for a patio tabletop. This is because it adds a beautiful translation of colors into a distorted state which adds a great aesthetic to your garden.
What is the Best Thickness for a Patio Glass Table Top?
You can get the glass type and shape in different thicknesses. While 3/16” is considered to be the most common and the best width for patio tables, any thickness will work given the little usage of the table for actual meals.
The available thickness measures (in inches) are 3/16, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 and 1/8.
Find out more about glass thickness by clicking here.
Considerations for Edge Finishes
Of course, you get the choice to decide what sort of edges your glass patio table top has.
Here are some of our favorite edge designs for your tabletops:
- Beveled Edge. The beveled edge is a glass edge that is cut to slope down at a predetermined angle. It does not just end perpendicular at the border but slopes gradually.
- Flat Polished Edge. In contrast to beveled edges, a flat polished edge ends abruptly, and the corners are perpendicular to the glass surface.
- Seamed Edge. Since flat polished edges can be rather sharp, you can gravel them to avoid any damages. Such sanded edges are knowns as seamed tips.
Consideration for Corner Finish
In addition to managing the edges, you must ensure that you get the corners according to your preference.
You can try either of the two following corner finishes.
- Eased Corner Glass. In eased corner finishes, the edges are sanded, so they are not as sharp as to hurt you.
- Clip and Polished Corners. In contrast, clip and polished glass corners are cut at an angle of 45-degrees and polished. They look more aesthetic and are safe.
How to Measure Patio Table Top for Glass Replacement?
People are often confused about how to come up with an adequate size of the tabletop in case of replacement.
However, this is not as difficult as people tend to think.
All you need is a measuring tape. Place this tape in the center of the tabletop and stretch it across the opposite side. The length you measure is like:
- For a Round Glass Patio Table Top: The diameter.
- For a Square Glass Patio Table Top: The length.
- For a Rectangular Glass Patio Table Top: The width.
How do I Stop Scratching my Patio Glass Table Top?
One of the most recurring complaints with glass patio table tops is- they keep scratching up. This not only looks untidy but ruins the look of the entire table.
To keep your glass tabletop safe from scratches, follow these steps:
- Use a table cloth to keep the table covered. Only uncover it when you have to use the table and want the aesthetics of the table to take over.
- Keep your pets away. They can scratch up your table even without any real effort because of their claws.
- Keep kitchen accessories away. Have no kitchen item policy on your glass patio tabletop? This includes hot bowls, knives, and forks. If you have to, put them in a tray and place the tray on your table.
How Do You Clean Patio Glass Top Tables?
If your tabletop is not as dirty, a micro-fiber cloth, an old newspaper, and some warm water are enough.
But if the table is more stained and has several marks, using a glint (glass cleaner) with your micro-fiber glass will do the job. Make it a point never to use rough cloth because it will scratch up the surface.
What are the Best Places for Patio Glass Table Top?
In-shop Stores. Visit a nearby physical store if you have any at the ease of access. Friendly communication and negotiation with the store’s salesman many get you some discounts.
Warehouses. Clearance houses often sell a high-quality product at quite reasonable prices as they’ve to make room for new stock. Don’t miss their clearance deals.
Online. The Internet is one of the most convenient yet economical places to get quality products. Visit online stores with glass products. Keep a check on their exclusive sales and discounts. In this regard, Fab Glass and Mirror is my best recommendation as the company is tried and trusted manufacturer of the glass products.
No matter what design, color, glass type, or edges you prefer for your glass patio tabletop. Remember that the tabletop should complement your garden shape and surroundings.We hope this comprehensive article provides you a complete guide to buying the best glass top for your patio table.
Enter your text here...